Examples of projects we have been involved in are provided below.
- Business in the Community, Travel Plan and Business Travel Policy: 2010. Commissioned by BITC to develop their travel plan and review their business travel policies, and in particular their ‘grey fleet’ usage.
- TfL & Olympic Delivery Authority – Travel Advice to Business: 2010-2012. One of a panel of specialist advisors appointed by the Olympic Delivery Authority to provide ‘site specific’ travel advice to the largest organisations in London. This project was a vital component of the 2012 Olympics Sustainable Transport Strategy to manage transport demand during the Games.
- Lancaster University, Travel Plan Monitoring (2011). Commissioned by Lancaster University to monitor the impact of their award winning travel plan. The work involved the design, implementation and evaluation of a staff travel survey. (2011)
- Energy Saving Trust, Green Fleet Advice: 2004 - Ongoing. Simon is a specialist 'green fleet' advisor for the Energy Saving Trust (EST). He has undertaken more than 100 'Green Fleet Reviews' and 'Fleet Health Checks' for a wide range of clients helping them to identify and implement actions for reducing their transport emissions and costs.
- Islington Borough Council, Transport Carbon Audit: 2008. Developed a transport carbon audit spreadsheet tool and quantified Islington’s carbon emissions from their fleet, business and commuter travel.
North Star Housing Group, Travel Policy Review: 2007-2008.
Commissioned to review North Star’s travel policies and to benchmark
their transport carbon emissions.
Established a business case to revise the essential user travel policy
on the basis of cost and carbon savings.
- BAA Clean Vehicles Programme: 2003-Ongoing. Simon was commissioned by BAA Heathrow to mange the implementation of their Clean Vehicles Programme (CVP). The CVP helps companies identify and implement cost-effective measures for improving the environmental performance of their business and fleet transport operations. It rewards achievements through an assessment and certification process. Simon is responsible for convincing companies to participate, auditing performance and helping companies to improve the environmental performance of their business and fleet transport.
- Suffolk County Council Business Mileage Study: 2006. Commissioned by Suffolk County Council to benchmark their business travel mileage and costs against other similar local authorities and to develop a new strategy for reducing mileage and costs.
- BAA Heathrow Travel Plan: 2003 – 2007. Provided support to BAA Heathrow to help them develop the Heathrow area-wide travel plan. A key part of this work was to engage with airport based organisations to get them to buy-in to and implement the travel plan developed by BAA.
- Gateshead Council: 2004-2005. Simon assessed Gateshead Council’s fleet operation in support of their application to join the Government backed Motorvate programme. The work involved auditing their fleet fuel consumption, mileage and carbon dioxide emissions and making recommendations on how environmental performance could be improved.
- Islington Council Green Fleet Review: 2004. Working as a sub-contractor to Steer Davies Gleave, Simon undertook an assessment of clean vehicle options for the Islington fleet. The work involved analysing the make-up and usage patterns of the fleet and then identifying a range of appropriate cleaner, ‘green’ options for each vehicle category. An analysis framework was developed to help Islington compare the alternative options in terms of their potential emissions reduction and whole life costs.
- BAA Southampton Travel Plan: 2004. Simon helped BAA Southampton develop their travel plan. Working with the Operations Director and Head of Service Delivery, Simon provided guidance on the management and implementation aspects of the plan. He also analysed the home postcodes of airport employees to identify the overall potential take up of alternative modes of travel.
- UCLH NHS Trust Travel Plan: 2003 - 2004. Working as a sub-contractor to Steer Davies Gleave on this Transport for London project, Simon helped University College London Hospitals NHS Trust develop a travel plan, encompassing each of its six main sites.
- World Duty Free – Individualised Marketing: 2003. Simon worked with World Duty Free in implementing an individualised marketing campaign to promote the Heathrow Airport Travel Card to their staff. The work involved plotting home postcodes of staff against the Airport Travel Card bus routes to identify potential users of the card. A targeted marketing exercise was then undertaken to promote the benefits of the card to these staff.
- Heathrow Personal Journey Planners: 2003. Simon was asked by BAA to support a campaign to provide personal journey planners for Heathrow employees. The campaign focused on the local bus routes that serve Heathrow direct. Simon developed templates for each bus route, which could then be adapted to provide personalised planners for staff living close to those routes.
- Sustrans Healthy Travel Seminars: 2003. Simon chaired 4 seminars aimed at promoting travel plans to the NHS.
- Review of the Government’s Climate Change Programme: 2003. This DEFRA funded project was commissioned to review the ex-ante and ex-post assessments of the Government’s Climate Change policies. Working for ILEX Energy, Simon was responsible for reviewing the assessments of the transport policies within the Climate Change Programme. The work concentrated on the basis for the carbon saving estimates resulting from the policies, and to what extent these savings estimates are likely to still be delivered.
- Freight Quality Partnerships Guide: 2002-2003. The Department for Transport commissioned Simon to produce a good practice guide on setting up and running freight quality partnerships (FQP). The guide is aimed at local authorities to help them establish FQPs. The work involved interviewing local authorities and other key stakeholders in order to identify good practice. Subsequently, Simon spoke at a series of 9 regional seminars to promote the guide.